Sunday, May 9, 2010

I am Wired

I was supposed to get my braces fixed last Friday morning.  I remember clearly the thoughts that ran through my mind then.  I had some noodles that night.  I was telling myself this would be the last supper before I could really eat without metal pieces sticking on my teeth some two years down the road.

I arrived slightly late that morning.  I was called into the room and the orthodontist then found out that the brackets and what not were not ready.  He apologized profusely.  The nurse then put bands on the molars.  These were small little blue colored rubber bands which were slid in between the molar teeth.  Then I did not know why they put the bands on.  Eating was a little chore after that.

Finally on Friday afternoon it happened.

The bands were removed.  Brackets were fixed onto the molars.  The bands were inserted between the teeth last week so that it would be easier to for the bracket to be fixed. 

The brackets were sized according to numerical.  None of the ones they prepared for me could be fixed properly.  Apparently the model has shrunk.  After trying various other sizes, the orthodontist told the nurse to use I believe another set.  I could not figure out what the orthodontist and nurses were talking about during the procedure. They were all talking in codes of  letters and numbers.  So I could only assume it was another set.  I have a funny feeling this other set is for some other kind of procedure.  The nurse sort of asked the orthodontist to reconfirm that another set was to be used.  The brackets were dislodged from the molars again once the correct size were found.  Some cement was applied and the brackets were then fixed onto the molars.  A gun emitting blue ray was used to set the cement.

Next, small little brackets were fixed onto the front of each teeth.  The brackets were made of porcelain.  My friend told me that the government hospitals do not use this type of brackets because they were expensive.  The privilege was mine I suppose.  The first bracket set so quickly.  The orthodontist was surprised at how fast the porcelain brackets set. He had to make some adjustments. One by one the brackets were fixed onto my lower teeth.  The orthodontist then wired the the brackets.  They only had time to fix the lower teeth.  The upper teeth would be wired next Friday.

It looked weird when I first saw my teeth on the mirror.  At first I thought my mouth was bloodied.  But I never tasted the ferrous smell of my blood.  The orthodontist then told me that they had to dye the brackets because they could not see it.  The brackets on the molars were made of stainless steel.  The small porcelain brackets looked like plastic to me.  From afar, you would only be able to see wires. The brackets is not noticeable.

The orthodontist told me not to throw away anything that is dislodged.  I am to take it back to the hospital.  The Sister then  advised me on the type of food that I am not suppose to take.  No chewing gum, nuts and crunchy food.  I am suppose to tear the meat into smaller pieces before eating it.  I am to reduce the intake of colored drinks like coffee and coke.  She also showed me how I am to brush and clean my teeth, AFTER EVERY MEAL.

My first meal after the procedure was dinner.  Shabu-shabu it was.  Now I know why I am going to lose some weight.  Imagine trying to eat with fixtures on your teeth.  The debris of the food is lodged all over the mouth and teeth.  The left side of the tongue keeps brushing the side of the stainless steel bracket.  Food is less tasty when you have to eat in smaller pieces and chew slowly.  There is no strength for the teeth to bite and chew hard or rubbery food. 

I believe the worse has yet to begin.  I believe the orthodontist has let me off the hook this week.  There do not seem to be any pain or numbness yet.  I am sure next week the wires will be tightened.  That is when the challenge will begin!

I want to take this opportunity to thank some of you readers who are taxpayers for sponsoring my braces.  It is going to cost me only RM700 instead of the RM7-8K had I got it done private.  Thanks folks.


plainjoe said...

You're almost wired completely! Gratz!

Don't worry too much about it as you will gradually get used to the whole routine. It's after all to a better looking smile in the long run!

Now say cheese!

William said...

Such a big difference to have it done in the government hospitals...

plainjoe said...

William: yup it is. Imagine, for an implant in gov hosp will only cost you 3k whereas at a private prac, it reaches up to 8k

carpe diem said...

plainjoe...I sure hope I 'll get used to this fast.

William...yeah so now we all know why those in private are driving all the big cars and staying in mansions