Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Dinner

From the beginning...
Previously...

Saturday finally arrived.  The agreed arrangement was for me to pick you up at about 5pm.  You finished work early and by 4pm you already texted me.  I was not ready yet. I texted you I would pick you up at 5.30pm.  I had a quick shower and shave.  

My breathing was shallow and a little heavy.  On the one hand I was really looking forward to meeting you.  On the other, I wondered what the outcome would be.  Would the evening turn out to be a one off meeting?  Would we meet each others expectations in all respects?  Would we be able to converse as well as we could over the phone? Maybe we should just continue on the phone forever.   My thoughts were all over as I tried to shave.  I told myself to be calm. I told myself not to expect anything much.  I would be more than happy if we could still remain friends like before we met after this evening’s dinner.

It rained cats and dogs.  I picked you up from your boss’s condo.  You were in an old MU T-shirt with slacks and dress shoes.  I took a short good look at you.  You were a next door looking kind of person.  You were neat and pleasant. You told me you forgot to bring your jeans and hence your mismatched attire.  I never really saw that as an issue and told you that it never mattered to me. I asked you to take it easy and just enjoy the evening. I asked where and what you wanted to eat.  You replied anywhere and anything except Japanese food and posh place (because of your attire).

We went to Jalan Bangkung in Bangsar.  You looked a bit lost reading the menu.  I described the items in the menu to you.  We agreed to share.  I ordered fish and you ordered poultry.  While waiting for the meal to arrive, we chat and shared.  We talked just about everything under the sun. 

You lamented how some people were rude and started hurling abusive words when you did not want to tell them too much about yourself.  In passing, you told me how you did not like the way the conversation on the MSN we had were going and you were about to cut me off.  I was asking so much and telling so little that you felt that I was interrogating you.  I asked why you allowed it to continue so far till you were willing to give out your contact no.  Your reply was an eye opener to me.  My English caught your attention.  Really?!!!  It is just normal simple everyday English. You told me that the way I wrote and the simple words I use showed up glaringly. Apparently "Ordinary people dont write like that"!

You told me of your only relationship where you were made to travel every day after class to town to wait for him.  How you were so stressed up and tired with the time taken for travelling.  How it was affecting you and your studies that you called it off. You told me you now want to concentrate on your career for at least the next three years.  Relationships are a no no for now.

You shared with me about your family.  How your parents were strict and where and what your siblings are working now.  You showed me the scar on your right arm where a metal plate was implanted to hold your fractured humerus, all due to arm wrestling.  You told me how you still help your parents at the provision shop during your weekends when you are not in town.  You showed me and I touched your palms which were a little rough from the years of helping out at the shop.

You told me how you drooled at some of your handsome patients. You were excited when you shared with me how some patients asked you to unmask so they can see how you look like!

You complained about how your boss treats you and some of his patients.  How you disliked his arrogance.  You whine over how he looks down on you and your dressing.  Apparently wearing unbranded shorts to bed shows that you are not refined.  Not wearing cK means you are not in vogue. Your boss says how he needs to whip you up so that you would be be able to carry yourself better.  I told you to do what you believe is right and care not what other people say or comment, myself included. I did not ask but you shared how your boss fished to find out your orientation and what happened after that. 

You looked at me and commented that I have fair skin.  You told me that my eyes looked bigger in real person than on the photo I sent to you.  I am not photogenic. Though I looked better in real life, I am just an ordinary looking bloke.

You invited me to visit you at the other town where you work.  There was an extra mattress.  I could bunk in with you, but only on week days because you would be in town or your hometown on weekends. You explained why I need to be on another mattress less I would get kicked when you tossed around while you were asleep. 

You told me that you like talking to old people. Then on the same breath you asked if you could visit my parents!   I looked at you in disbelief and horror.  Naturally I politely declined you.  You tried to convince me that old people like people to chat with them.  I sure know that but no way at this juncture am I going to bring you home.  How am I to explain myself to them?  

Interspersed within the conversation we were having, I shared with you details of myself.  I realized that we have similar interests.  I suspect we have a lot in common.  I commented that you too looked fair but you disagreed.  I expressed to you how happy I was because there was someone around to share a meal with me on this occasion.  I liked the way you talk.  At times animated, your speech grows louder and faster as you become more excited.  Sometimes it would be punctuated.  Otherwise your voice would be flat and in monotone.  But always honest and sincere, I believe.

I looked at your face and expression during the conversation and you suddenly realized.  You smiled and asked what I was looking at.  I replied in the negative.  I then realized that you actually have a very beautiful smile. It was the same smile on the photo on the internet which caught my attention.  Only this time, you are real with your eyes unmasked.

We ordered some desserts to share.  It was still raining.  We stayed back and chat for a while before leaving.

Since there were no plans and you had to work the next day, I suggested we drive around.

to be continued...

No comments:

loan