Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Real Traffic Jam Experience In BKK

This is probably my fifth visit to Bangkok.  I thought I got a bit smarter by arriving just past noon so that I can get more done while the day is still bright and young.  Since it was still early, I had time to kill.  I took the Airport Bus AE3 to Sukhumvit.

The driver stopped at the toll plaza to ease himself.  The caucasian passengers looked at each other, smiled and shoke their heads off.

Ten minutes into the ride after that, we were caught in a jam I have never experienced before.  I was so engrossed listening to the songs in my iPhone.  I did not realise how long the bus had been stationary.  Somehow it struck me that the sun has begun to set.  I boarded the bus in bright sunshine and now the sun is glowing in golden hue.  The bus hardly moved a metre for the last hour and a half!!!

I looked at the faces of the caucasians.  They probably now realised why the driver eased himself earlier!  Lucky for me I did not drink much water.  Everyone was now busy checking from the map they have where they are.  Some asked for the driver to drop then off on the street.  When the driver finally pulled near a BTS station Ploen Chit, I got off the bus and took the BTS to Sukhumvit.  I finally arrived at fifteen past seven!!!  YES.  Now I believe that the traffic in Bangkok can be really bad.

Morale of the story: The locals know best.  Lesson learnt: Take the cab the next time.

5 comments:

William said...

Luckily I have never experienced such a bad jam from the airport before, but maybe cause I always take the cab. ^_^

Little Prince said...

... i miss bangkok...

Medie007 said...

wah. 5th time...

i never even been to bangcock. :(

Legolas said...

I will be going to Bangkok!

carpe diem said...

William...I have taken the airport bus before but never encountered traffic this bad before.

Little Crown Prince... nice place

Medie007...work it is. Always a tiring trip. Maybe we can all come together and organise a leisure trip there.

Legolas...have fun and enjoy your trip

loan